Ornithological Societies of North America (OSNA) is the joint membership and billing service of the American Ornithologists’ Union (AOU), Association of Field Ornithologists (AFO), Cooper Ornithological Society (COS), Raptor Research Foundation (RRF), Waterbird Society (WS), and Wilson Ornithological Society (WOS). OSNA was created in 1979 by the AOU, COS, and WOS to provide for efficient mailing of the jointly produced Ornithological Newsletter.
The combined OSNA membership database; provides for timely and accurate mailings of the Societies’ journals and billing for memberships and institutional subscriptions; and allows for such joint ventures as the Ornithological Newsletter, published 6 times per year, and the production of The Flock, the electronic membership directory. The Ornithological Newsletter provides news about the Societies, requests for assistance from researchers, professional positions, worldwide opportunities for field assistants (both paid and volunteer), graduate student positions and support, information on grants, new publications, scientific bird meetings, and news of members.
OSNA Historical Events:
- The Ornithological Societies of North America was created in 1979 by the American Ornithologists’Union, Cooper Ornithological Society, and Wilson Ornithological Society to provide for efficient mailing of the jointly produced Ornithological Newsletter. This could be accomplished only by creating a single membership and subscription file.
- The first OSNA annual dues notice was mailed in September 1979.
- The first joint membership directory, The Flock, was published in March 1980.
- The Association of Field Ornithologists joined OSNA in September 1987.
- The Waterbird Society (Colonial Waterbirds Society prior to 1998) and the Raptor Research Foundation joined OSNA in November 1995.
- In August, 2000, Dr. Bonnie Bowen (Cooper Ornithological Society representative) became the Chair of the OSNA Committee.
- In December 2013, Dr. David Bonter (Association of Field Ornithologists’ representative) became Chair of the OSNA Committee.
- In September 2015, Dr. Sean Murphy (Waterbirds Society representative) became Chair of the OSNA Committee.
OSNA Services Include:
- Processing membership transactions for individuals joining member societies
- Producing OSNA publications: The Flock (membership directory in print and online versions) and Ornithological Newsletter (print and online versions)
- Processing subscription transactions for institutional subscribers
- Renting mailing list on behalf of member societies
- Facilitating communication and information exchange among the ornithological societies
Legal and Tax Information
- OSNA is a 501(c)6 organization.
- Copies of OSNA’s 990 form can be obtained by contacting the Membership office: [email protected]
add another page.